Thursday, February 5, 2009

All About The Puppies

My brother-in-law is a sound engineer and has been touring for 15 years or more, he does not just gigs, but events and tellie too.

Anyways for a while there a few years ago he also did the wrestling, and as I was the only one living in Melbourne - I got all the freebies, I used to see alot of big shows and festivals for free thanks to him but I digress.

One night, I had nothing else to do, I took myself off to see WWE at Rod Laver arena, these seats werent great, sometimes I got ringside, sometimes up in the bleachers, anyways this night there I was about half way up, in the start of the cheaper seats or right at the back of the last of the posh seats. A little to the front of me and to the left were two men and a couple of kids, boys around 8 or 9 yo. This was a full on show, Vince McMahon was even there, the full bells and whistles, some of the shows werent always as elaborate as this.

Now this was a while ago so we had Disco Inferno (they always boo the Disco but I always liked him), Big Sexy, Sting plus heaps I cant remember, we even got a special appearance by Brett the Hitman Hart but he didnt wrestle, he just invaded the ring and misbehaved for a while. This was not too long after his brother Owen was killed in a wrestling match gone wrong, so he was still playing the drunken angry looser role that he did for a while.

The bikini girls were there and came out to jiggle about during the intros and between matches as this is their role in this environment. There was lots of cheering, jeering and carry - on by the crowd and the performers, it is a show and everybody has a role to play including the crowd and when it works well and everybody plays along its a whole lot of harmless low brow fun.

The bikini girls had the puppies out on display, as they always do, puppies is the term used frequently by the commentators for tits. I'd never really heard it before a particular boyfriend and his WWF obsession came into my life, it must of been an Americanism thats since moved into common vocabulary. Anyways back to the point - after one particular match, the girls were out, the puppies were jumping, the crowd were jeering, fireworks were going off and lights were flashing, during this commotion, one of the kids jumped on his chair and started leaping up and down, screaming at the top of his voice "Show us your puppies, show us your puppies!!!"

He was 8.

The dad and his mate stopped their yelling, and looked at the kid in disbelief, you could see what he was screaming register with them, and they then leaned back in their chairs and started beaming with pride.

I giggled with so much mirth at that that I nearly lost my seat, thinking about this even now makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. LMAO! Let's just hope he really didn't know what he was saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he didnt.

    There was too much Bugs Bunny joy in the shouts for it to be about lust.

    ReplyDelete