Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why Am I On The Buses

I’ve hit a wall at work, I’m no longer that interested in being here at the moment, and as this contract is just biding a little time whilst I’m leading up to one or two more events that are more important to me, I really should stick around here for a few more months longer. The job is fine, the people I work with are dull but fine, I am treated with respect and appreciated so I shouldn’t complain, but I am BORED !!!!

So, the sensible side of me decided how can we jazz it up a bit by making it a little less boring so I stay here for a little longer (the easier/convenient option) or find something else (completely do-able but more complicated option) – how’s about we……. catch the bus.

I’ve been driving to work, I’ve never driven to work before and it was making me grumpy – idiot drivers, traffic, idiot drivers, no time for day-dreaming, idiot drivers etc. I’ve always taken a bus or a tram, and find public transport annoying at times when the bus/tram doesn’t turn up, but in the most part it’s a pretty civilized and pleasant way to travel. Driving used to be convenient, especially when you could duck out to places at lunch, but this year since the university students came back, the car park situation has gone crazy, and unless you are here before 9, you are stuck on the 7th floor of the car park and there is no elevator – I’m used to stairs, I usually park on the 4th floor but I’m not dying of heart attack climbing 7 flights of stairs (in a suit and heels) just to get my car (???)

Ducking out at lunch time to go to the gym or shopping is now out of the question as well, because if you leave, it’s unlikely you can get a spot at all let alone one on the heart-attack floors – there is no on street parking.

The things I liked about driving – getting here at 9.30 and missing the peak hour traffic, going to the gym during the day, ducking out to meet friends at the beach for lunch – have gone. So I thought I’d try catching the bus.

So far it’s been fine, there is the usual timetabled phantom buses, late buses, crowded buses, but its seem to have lifted my mood a little. You see it’s the getting out of bed in the morning and going to work thingy that I’ve had trouble with, it’s a little easier now. Yes I know it’s only a temporary solution but it might just get me over the hump till the nice things I’m working toward happen in a few more months.

My daydreaming quota has gone up, I like this, I listen to more music, I like this even more. There is something warm and embracing about having something new blaring through your headphones, being able to hear the little tiny intakes of breath that you miss out on listening through speaker, the little words and phrases you don’t pick up when you are distracted with driving. It makes me smile in a contented and cherished way.

Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Listening: Audio of Ashes of American Flags
Watching: Cleo from 5 to 7

No comments:

Post a Comment