Thursday, June 4, 2009

Quasi School Reunions

I had a quasi school reunion on Friday night, I caught up with three chaps I went to school with, one of them I hadn’t seen in 15 years, so I was looking forward to catching up with the three of them, and them with each other.

Two are married, one has kids, one works early shifts so is up at 3.30am, I wasn’t expecting more than a meal, a few drinks and be home by 10pm.

I stumbled home in the rain at 2.00am

It was really nice to see them, catch up with them, hear what they have been doing with their lives, no that’s not true, there wasn’t more than a quick summary of this is what I’ve done since I left school stuff. Instead we caught up on how each of us feels about things, live music, views on gays, marriages, annulments, raising children, working – corporate ladder via following dreams etc etc. With a little bits of reminiscing and where are they nows filling up the quieter moments.

An Artist/Teacher, a Corporate CEO, a Dog Walker/Driver and me – a mix of directions and situations and views, an entertaining evening, a challenging evening, a warm evening. It’s refreshing to be honest and open, having, at times, quite heated discussions with three people I once knew very well and cared about but hardly know now.

One of them said to me that night that he has never really had friends as close as he had at school, and that really, he doesn’t have friends at all, just lots and lots of acquaintances and casual friends – that made me sad. I did ask him what about his wife, but he said she’s my wife, I thought that was interesting, she is wife no 2.

I feel asleep that night in the arms of a dream I thought had left me a long time ago.

Music I’ve moved onto Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Reading – I’ve picked up Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man again. I like Joyce, he uses commas, alot.
Watching – Babel (it put me in a melancholy mood last night that hasn’t lifted)

No comments:

Post a Comment