Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Year Without Sex

Another budget and another chance to be ignored, earning more than $40k, not having kids, nor a mortgage usually means that new budgets mean I dont get anything and I always have to pay more for something so I dont tend to take much notice of them.

So true to form on this one, I dont get anything as expected but I have to pay more for private health care, I think I'll actually loose my health fund rebate so it means I'll have to change it somehow, getting rid of it all together is probably a good idea as I only ever use it for dental and optical - it doesnt pay to be healthy ;-)

I really wouldnt fault much in what KRudd has done, except maybe the extension of the First Home Buyer Grant, I was hoping that would end 30 June and lower to mid price range units/houses may drop some of the over inflated pricing that this increased demand has created.

Maybe I'm naive, but how simple is it to not borrow more than you can pay back, at 5% and even at 15%. I've truly got no sympathy for the fools who are struggling now when the interest rates are so low - idiots.

Anyways, I went to the cinema last night, it was another freebie, this time by an Australian filmmaker Sarah Watt whose previous film - Look Both Ways - I rather enjoyed, so I didnt have high hopes for this one, but I still had hopes.

Unfortunately I cant say the same for the new one, My Year Without Sex. It was supposed to be a comedy...I think I chuckled once. The film was not well made, it seemed amateurish, the dialogue was lazy, the story was held together by screen shot headings thats went slowly through the months, it starts in August, once it reached October, I was using them to count down the months till when it was over. To put it simply, it was just plain boring, it was a terribly droll look at the year in the life of a married couple who go without sex whilst she recovers from an aneurism, ie orgasms may trigger another one you see - this was the premise. You dont end up getting to know anyone, you dont really get to understand anyone, there is no narration, no story - just a camera taking shots of small events in the lives of the family over the year.

The actors were ok - but lacking any real sort of story, ordinary dialogue and clumsy direction, they couldnt really do much.

It was a disappointment.

On my way home I picked up a Hot Basil & Tofu Stir Fry and ate it whilst watching Time Team - the one when they discovered the four temples - this was more interesting than the movie.

Listening: Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Reading: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

No comments:

Post a Comment